The Library of Life

So often I’m inside myself, searching for the reason I am here on this great orb, so I write my blogs, my books, usually from some aspect of life that beguiles me, terrifies me, or gives me joy. Within the words and phrases of those blogs and books are at times subtle glimpses of universal truths. Wrapping my arms around those subtleties does not bring me the comprehension to understand, but, that they are there, that in writing them, give me some hope that my words in some small way speak to the lives of us all, give meaning to the daily wanderings of our minds, the tedious chores, the chaos, and the wonderment of it all. In all of this I sense a purpose for my living, and there is a literary ‘Saint’ among us who says it so much better than ever I could.

Please ponder these few words from Susan Orlean’s 2018 best seller, The Library Book, rich with some of the most lovely words and phrases a writer can put on paper. Just a few words of ‘back story’, and I shall give you the section from her book that perhaps says it all for me…

That is part of this simple ‘back story’…. My lovely daughter-in-law, Cindy Ruecker, sent Susan Orlean to Julie Anne and me, well, not literally, of course, but her book mentioned above. Our dear Cindy mentioned that, in her reading of The Library Book she thought of me…she at one time years ago typed for me part of a manuscript I had written. When I interrupted her with a question, she quickly told me while she was typing in world speed-breaking time to, ‘hush, I’m reading this as I type and I want to see what is going to happen next’. Cindy is the fastest typist I’ve ever seen type among the secretaries I’ve had and/or anyone in a typing pool – along, of course, with my own wife who is also very swift with her dancing fingers.

At that time, I was so pleased that Cindy ‘hushed me’ because her words resonated with me, giving me some hope for success that my writing might bring. Cindy is part of a ‘Reading Group’ that meets and discusses the book they’ve chosen to read on a given week. This is my way of saying, when Cindy likes a book, is really into it, then I’m comforted that maybe my work has validity. It means so very much to me.

So, that’s the simple ‘back story’, and I shall forever be grateful to Cindy for sending my wife and me The Library Book by Susan Orlean, the Simon & Schuster best-selling author of, The Orchid Thief. It’s an honor for me to recommend Susan Orlean to anyone reading these humble words of mine. Her words flow from the pages with wonderful clarity and meaning.

Now, on to the one page of all the three hundred plus pages in Susan’s book that held me captive, and, with some ‘old man tears’. I think you will love these words and Susan’s book as much as I… Good reading.

The Library Book

51pmJwGu0bL._SY346_

Best wishes to all.

Billy Ray Chitwood – April 18, 2019

Please preview my books at:

Please follow my blog at:

Pleqse follow me on Twitter:

htttps://twitter.com/brchitwoo

17 comments on “‘The Library of Life’

1. Gwen Plano says:

Oh my goodness, Billy Ray, this is an insightful post. I love “A declaration that you believe in the persistence of memory.” What an amazing thought…and certainly a testimony to your growing library. Thank you for sharing this and making my day! ♥

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you so much, Gwen. Your thoughts mean so mudh 5o me – and forgive me if I’ve said that before…does not make the statement less important for me. ♥♥ (I leave two stars – one for your good husband and one for you!) Here’s two more. I have plenty!) ♥♥

1. Sorry for the typos…my eyes are not seeing so well! 🙂

2. tidalscribe says:

Yes, great words and inspiring to all of us who write. I like the Senegal saying.

Liked by 2 people

1. Susan writes like I wish to write! Thank you for your kind words. My best wishes. ♥

3. D.L Finn, Author says:

I enjoyed your back story. Looks like a good read. Thsnks:)

Liked by 2 people

1. As always I thank you for your constant support, dear Denise. ♥♥

4. eden baylee says:

Thanks for sharing an excellent passage, Billy Ray. Though I’m not one who stresses over being forgotten, I understand the fear that comes with it. The polite expression at the end of the page is terrific. 🙂
    e

Liked by 2 people

5. An insightful look beyond the cover. Thanks for sharing, Billy Ray.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, dear Bette. ♥

Liked by 2 people

6. Jennie says:

Wow! I can see why you were captivated. I have heard excellent things about this book. Thanks, Billy Ray.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, Jennie! ♥

Liked by 2 people

1. Jennie says:

You’re welcome, Billy Ray. 🙂

7. da-AL says:

absolutely beautiful!

1. As are you, dear lady! Susan Orlean is such a marvelous author. My best wishes, da-AL. ♥

Liked by 2 people