cropped-38511_img1-1.jpg

Unselfish Love

Recently we received a call from our Water Company, giving us news of a ultra-high water bill… One of the lovely benefits of living in a small town is courtesy calls such as this when an ominous ‘red flag’ comes up. Our water bill had soared in the previous month and the company wanted to alert us of a possible leak in our water pipe.

We have a large house, too large for us aging seniors, but its history brought us here some years ago. The big house is on six acres and also has a pool house and incredible spacious views. I’m talking of square footage of over 9000 SF for both houses. Built in 1871, the big house was brought up to date in 2008 with modern, convenient ‘state of the art’ kitchen and custom master bedrooms. The huge master bath provides luxurious space, separate his and her wooden closets, a huge ‘steam’ shower room big enough to seat six people, a large corner bath with windows looking out on Abe Lincoln’s rolling hills and meadows.

Suffice, it is an incredible mansion on a hill that likely should be a Bed and Breakfast destination…the ‘Perryville civil war battle site’ is just thirty minutes from our home. Louisville, Lexington, and Frankfort are all one-hour from us. The ‘Maker’s Mark Bourbon Distillery is less than thirty minutes away. The big house is built like a fortress and has mill work not seen in many areas these days. Our town, Springfield, Kentucky, is ‘small town’ lovely, and Abe Lincoln’s mother and father were married in our town.

Well, I got away from the central topic of this blog post and gave a sales spiel on our property as though it was ‘for sale’! Well, it is not listed for sale but we will be selling it soon because our kids back in Arizona and our kids up on the Chesapeake want us closer to them. So, if by chance, anyone reading this might want to open a Bed and Breakfast business or simply have a ‘family compound’ let me know, and I’ll send details and pictures … brchitwood@gmail.com

Now, back to my original intent, my good and loving wife does all the ‘heavy lifting’ around our place because I’m a bit slow on my feet these days with old ugly Arthur. Julie Anne is her name, and she, my friends, is a jewel, if ever there was one.

Regarding that water leak, it’s now fixed. Julie found the leak some one-hundred yards from our house, even did some digging to make sure before she called the water people. We were without water a couple of days, but we’re back in business now. Julie Anne and the water crew got it fixed… It sure reminds a person just how much we are all dependent on the little things in life.

Me, during all this time my wife was busy getting our water back on? Sitting in my Lazyboy, writing. Did I know she was doing all of this work? Well, I’m forced to admit I did know. Now, that fact makes me feel mighty guilty, but the truth is: yeah, I can walk and get around okay. I just can’t be up too long before my joints give out on me… That’s my story and I’m sticking to it!

Julie Anne never makes me aware of what she’s doing because she figures I’ll feel guilty and try to do more than I can…a great line comes to me: A man’s gotta know his limitations! Julie is all of 115 pounds but her strength is surprising. She is so remarkably smart and reads most likely a book a day – I’m not kidding by much, I can tell you.

Anyway, I wanted to praise my lady in a post that anyone can read, and I won’t be changing my mind anytime soon. She deserves my praise, and I’m giving it.

Now, Julie Anne, will you please put that darned gun down?

Oh, one little PS: if anyone might be seriously thinking about a big family compound or a Bed and Breakfast opportunity, get in touch and I’ll send you more information about our wonderful property.

Billy Ray Chitwood – Febuary, 2019

Please preview my books at:

Please follow my blog at:

Please follow me on Twitter:

37 comments on “Unselfish Love

1. We are downsizing too so I have no need for your palatial estate. Good to know there is a loving someone capable of taking care of you. I know the Ritus’ and Arther is the worst of the bunch.

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks, buddy… Yeah, I’m a lucky guy to have Julie Anne…and Arthur’s not so bad when I’m sitting… ♥

1. I think exercise makes it better. You know, sky diving and stuff.

2. Your plane or mine??? ♥

Liked by 2 people

3. Mine’s a Lear 35. Pretty hard to bail out of. How about yours?

4. Mine’s a Lear 36 – has a bar serving only Maker’s Mark! ♥

Liked by 2 people

5. I guess we’ll have to find a different way then.

6. Tell ya whot! I’ll give you my ‘pilot’s exemption’ this one time – ‘Willitski’ is NOT to become a habit, howsomether! (Head-nod & eyebrows raised! – Yeah, like that!) 🙂

7. You are the man. We still can’t jump out of a Lear.

8. Who cares! We’ll be so ‘high’ it won’t matter! Upward, we go! ♥

9. What you said!!! ♥

2. Your home looks amazing! If I win the lottery I’ll give you a shout 🙂

1. Thanks, Jacquie. Good luck with the lottery! All the best… ♥

3. tidalscribe says:

Julie Anne sounds like a great lady and your home looks wonderful.

1. Thank you. Hope your week is fulfilling! ♥

4. Gwen Plano says:

My goodness, what a beautiful home! I can’t imagine living in such a fine estate, especially at this stage in life. Like you, we’re thinking of downsizing and moving closer to kids. Julie Anne sounds like an angel, and I’m so happy the two of you are together. ♥♥♥

Liked by 2 people

1. Thank you, Gwen. Yes, it’s a beautiful home, and we’ve enjoyed the small town atmosphere…but there comes that time when… Have a super week, Gwen. My best to you and yours. ♥♥♥

5. D.L Finn, Author says:

Good luck on that sale….sounds like a beautiful spread. We had a well that ran all the time but didn’t find out until the huge electric bill! Nice they called you.

Liked by 2 people

1. Small town support and friendly neighbors…tough to think about leaving… All the best, Denise. ♥♥

6. eden baylee says:

Big high five to Julie Anne! She sounds like an absolute gem. So happy you have each other, Billy Ray.

xox

1. I’m a lucky guy, Eden. Julie is a joy! Have a great week, ‘my girl’! ♥ xox

7. I think sometimes good people get together. It looks like it’s the case with you and Julie Anne.

Liked by 2 people

1. Tis true, Tim. I couldn’t make it without Julie. All my best, buddy. Have a great week! ♥

8. Jennie says:

That is so nice, Billy Ray. Your mansion is gorgeous, and I hope you find a buyer before your arthritis gets too bad. Hubby has the same thing, and yours truly does the lifting, running up and down the stairs, etc. It works for us as it does for you.. 🙂

1. We should form a ‘Crutch and Cane’ Club! 🙂

1. Jennie says:

I love it! 😅

2. Pleasing to hear, Jenny! ♥

9. Annika Perry says:

Wow! I’m smitten with your stunning property … at first I thought the picture was from pixaby! It is huge and has a wonderful location on top of the hill. Oh, I wish I could buy this!! You are right, this is perfect for B&B, a very exclusive one at that! Good luck with the sale and for now I’ll just dream a little of a new business …

1. Ah, thank you, Annika. Very nice of you. Wishing you well…♥

10. da-AL says:

wishing you the best – big houses carry big responsibilities…

1. Thanks, da-AL, for your response. All the best to you and to your writing. ♥

Liked by 2 people

11. Did you get any bites, Billy Ray? What a gorgeous home. But downsizing is the way to go (says she who went from a 5-bedroom, 2 acre home to 2 bed/2bath and loves it. 🙂 Kudos to your lovely wife.

1. Just gave the listing to Sotheby’s. Just marking time! All ix well, dear ‘Warrior’ ♥♥…