Ripples

sunset

Ripples

The lovely lady squinted as she stood on her penthouse balcony, grasped the iron railing and looked outward at the distant clouds hovering above the horizon.

Standing there in her long powdery blue night gown, her image portrayed a classic Princess-like profile with all the voluptuous and titillating curves that brought men to their knees. Her face was to cherish: lips full of the sweetest imaginable wine that gave kisses long lingering promises of other delights; magical blue eyes that mesmerized and projected a strange mystical sadness.

The sun she gathered from some days on the beach made her glow with some wondrous and nostalgic essence, her long silky auburn hair not bothered by the slight breeze that moved it gently across her face.

She watched the wave ripples shifting the sand and bringing ashore sea glass and ageless plant debris. Two tears appeared, spilled over the lower lids, and fell down her face. A small trembling smile came as her thoughts mixed with the sea glass and plants on the shore…

“Oh, Jessie,” she whispered as a zephyr carried her words out upon the ripples. “Why, why, why?” she implored of her Deity. “Why has the world gone crazy? Why did they send you to Afghanistan? I can’t make it without you. Here at our favorite retreat I hoped to find some semblance of sanity, but there is nowhere to go that will bring peace, a reason to go on without you.”

She sighed a small surrender.

She placed her left foot on the lower stretch of balcony iron and tightened her grip on the top railing. She looked again at the clouds on the distant horizon, at the ripples coming to shore with their cargo. She pulled her body upward on the railing and gave the horizon one more poignant gaze.

From some silent place inside the penthouse came the words: “Cut! That’s a take!”

Flash Fiction by Billy Ray Chitwood

Okay, I’m bad, but aren’t you glad she didn’t jump?! Come on, you thought she would!H

27 comments on “Ripples

1. I’m so glad she didn’t jump. Your description of her made me want her to live. Well done.

1. Thanks, good John. Have a lovely holiday season. Hi to the ladies! ♥

Liked by 2 people

1. ??? Your question? Not going anywhere for the holidays. Will be at home. Not sure of your question… b♥

2. Your holiday greeting sounded like you were going off to Bali to celebrate. Merry Christmas to you Billy Ray.

3. Even as an old man, I’d like to go to Bali! Too lazy to go! Too much writing to do! ♥

Liked by 2 people

4. You can write on the beach

5. Nice thought! Proofing my 18th novel, DOMINIQUE… I like it. Methinks it reads well! A bit of fantasy, but primarily ‘sex ring’, murder, and a love story! Call me Crazy! Will be going for January 2019 release. Will be starting 19th soon…HAPPY HOLLY! ♥

Liked by 2 people

2. Another great short, Billy Ray! 🙂

1. Thanks so much, dear Bette. Enjoy the Holiday Season! ♥

Liked by 2 people

1. Happy Holidays to you too, Billy Ray! ❤

2. Thank you and Bless you, Bette. MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR! ♥

Liked by 2 people

3. Jennie says:

Well done, Billy Ray!

1. Thanks, Jennie. Your thought, your time, much appreciated… ♥

Liked by 2 people

1. Jennie says:

A pleasure! 🙂

4. jaysquires says:

Okay, doggone you, Billy Ray, don’t do that to me! Just as I was steeling myself for her demise, you go and make her an actress. Good job of crafting your tale, though.

1. jaysquires says:

It’s not like my previous comment was so inflammatory or subversive that it refquired moderation before being shown! LOL, Go figure.

2. My aim is to please!
      Did my comment ever come through on that ‘durn’ site of ‘yourn’?

5. jaysquires says:

I’ll check. I’m sure it did and I offered a parting shot. Always have to have the last word.

Liked by 2 people

1. Wouldn’t have it any other way! ♥

1. jaysquires says:

Ah, yes, it was there. That was when you mentioned the 405 and I the freeway … and all that followed our little fluffery. Haha, have a Merry Christmas, friend, if I told talk to you again … except to answer any last word you tag on. It’s a brutal habit I have.

6. eden baylee says:

You know I love the twist endings, good one hon, xox

1. Thanks, dear Eden. Wishing you a HAPPY HOLIDAY! ♥OX