My love for writing began at an early age with simple poetry and words. Those words conveyed some wistful thoughts or wishes, but writing has always been, from the very beginning, my personal psychiatrist, my place for bravado, hopes, dreams, despair, loneliness. In my privacy I’ve performed for myself, emulating my favorite vocalists of the day by singing in the shower or while taking my trips in the car. I’ve play-acted scenes from some favorite movies…in short, always using words to describe my feelings, my dreams, my downs, my ups. A rather fanciful young fellow was I…when all alone.

The fictional books I write are as much about me as they are about the plot-lines found within their pages. It seems my life has been a long quixotic mystery to me. Some poems and thoughts I’ve written on bar room napkins, motel stationery, on the back of business cards, and on the StarWriter of the day or the current laptop. Some of the attributes I give to some of my characters I draw from my own, even some not so squeaky clean. Hey, it’s tough being ‘me’!

In all that I’ve written, there are pieces of me – in the characters that adorn my books, in the mysteries that hold my fascination, in the down moods, the up moods, and the in-between moods. Those pieces of me are not arcane and complicated because I likely could not write a Robert Ludlum, Nelson DeMille, or a John Grisham book, clearly authors of meticulous and thoroughly enjoyable characters and events.

As I write this post, I have penned seventeen books, some 400 blog posts, numerous ‘flash fiction’ items, short stories, and songs of love. If all my witings are coupled with my short tenure in ‘teaching’ the subject, one would think I could write. Well, surely I can, but perhaps not to the eagle eyes of publishing house editors. Of course, I allow for the crispness and excitement of the stories as well. Perhaps I’m too close to my stories and see them far more crisp and exciting than do editors.

Am I a traditionally published author? No, I’m one of the multi-million authors called INDIES. Do I think my writing is good enough to be published by a traditional publisher? With a healthy whimsy, I can quickly answer resoundingly, yes, but the question needs to be answered with honesty. Likely, I am not good enough to be traditionally published. I’ve submitted and been rejected a number of times.

So, I roll on, adding to my portfolio of writing, still ‘young of heart’ enough to dream of success and riches. Well, perhaps not so much the ‘riches’ as the success, NOT that I’m negative to wealth, heavens no! Hardly anyone I know would be adverse to riches. Perhaps, had we riches, we could help those who through no fault of their own cannot quite make it. In any case we should not deny opportunities to support those in real need.

So, now, as the wicker in my candle grows shorter, I’m still “Anchors Away” with my writing, still tapping the laptop keys, still trying to find some pieces of me hidden and unknown, some missing parts of my youth that haunt me, that beg to be found. I intend to keep on digging in the dirt and gravel of my past, and I’ll for sure let you know what I come up with. Just remember, though, I’ve got a tender heart.

It is not so esoteric as one might imagine. The easy way to be done with it all is to say, ‘I ate some emotional soup as a kid and I’m still trying to digest it’! I’m relatively certain there is no way I could be the only one wandering along in a romantic and wanderlust life. My bet is, I’ve got soul mates all over the world. If they’re not writing their own books, I’m inviting them to read my offerings. There has to be some ‘matches’ out there in this big old orbiting craft.

So, I will write until ‘Old Bessie’ comes home for milking, her brass bell tinkling with each slow step she takes, until some magical event occurs that signals me out for success in this world of writing, In my youth I rounded up ‘Old Bessie’, the cow, and herded her home for evening milking. I loved ‘Old Bessie’ and it was one job on the farm I didn’t mind. Now, I also loved my Aunt Bessie, so you ladies out there with the good name of Bessie, you bear a most noble name.

Knowing my lack of marketing skills, and, being realistic along with my nomadic and wandering soul, I suspect that magical event will just stay aloft or wherever it is and allow me to keep on writing, Once in a while my writing can turn people on. Maybe that’s enough. Well, take the ‘maybe’ away – it just might have to be enough.

How ’bout You? Wander over and take a peek on my Website –  https://billyraychitwood.com , read a synopsis or two or three or four or more and see if one of my books might turn you on. You will find books of mystery, romance, suspense, thrillers, most of which are inspired by real life situations. There are a couple of memoirs as well that cover me with a might too much accuracy… Just saying.

Billy Ray Chitwood – November 29, 2018

Please Preview My Books At:

Please Follow My Blog At:

Please Follow Me On Twitter:

33 comments on “About My Writing

1. Keep shakin’ those bushes, Billy Ray. You may scare up a dove eventually.

Liked by 2 people

1. One never knows.

2. Is there an echo in here? ♥

3. Hello, hello helloooooooo. Yup

2. D.L Finn, Author says:

I agree with John…don’t stop shaking those bushes:)

Liked by 2 people

1. I’m shaking! Also rattling and rolling! John remembers, but you’re too young to remember Elvis – ‘Shake, Rattle, and Roll’! One of his biggies! ♥

Liked by 2 people

1. Thanks so much for the re-blog. My best wishes. ♥♥

3. jenanita01 says:

It is no longer enough to ask ourselves if we are good writers, we now have to ask how good we are at marketing. I have searched my soul for the answer and can now say with authority, that writers are not equipped to be good marketers, and there’s not a lot we can do about that…

1. I fear you are right! The words are there inside of us so we must bring them out for ourselves and for those who would wish to see them… Thank you for the re-blog. So very nice of you. My best wishes. ♥♥

4. eden baylee says:

Keep writing Billy Ray, as I know you are doing. The journey will become the joy, and where it ends is anyone’s guess. xox

5. Well said, sweet Eden. ♥♥♥

Liked by 2 people

6. Jennie says:

Way to go, Billy Ray. Keep writing, and never forget how good you are (‘cause you are).

1. What a beautiful note from you! Great way to end the week. Thank you so much! Best wishes. BR

Liked by 2 people

1. Jennie says:

You’re very welcome, Billy Ray. Just sayin’ what’s true. Glad you enjoyed my note. 🙂

7. Gwen Plano says:

You are a wonderful writer, Billy Ray. This post captures the emotionality and honesty you bring to each story. Quite incredible. As for marketing, it is an overwhelming obligation, which I certainly have not mastered. If greatness can be measured in writing skill, you’ve succeeded my friend. ♥

1. Your comment is so special to me on this lovely Sunday morning! God bless! ♥♥

Liked by 2 people

8. jaysquires says:

I’ve missed you on Twitter, my friend. The only one older than you.

1. Forgot to add: you’re still one of the best writers we’ve got, good-Jay! So, keep writing! ♥

9. So good to hear from you, Jay-man…missed you as well. Can’t get through on your ‘SEP’ site. About the ‘older than you’ comment: let’s fool these ‘youngens’ and stick around til we become famous. We got more writin ta-do! ♥♥♥

Liked by 2 people

1. jaysquires says:

Not surprised you haven’t been able to get through to http://septuagenarianjourney.com/blog/. It’s been under repair as often as it’s been up and running. I still have some work to do on it, so once you do latch a link, re-follow and bookmark (just to be safe). Don’t trip on any of the orange cones.

1. I’m on my way to the site to try again! Always my best, good Jay! ♥

2. I wrote a long piece on your ‘Faith Piece’, brother Jay, but got a ‘405 NOT ALLOWED’! Just know, I enjoyed your piece – ‘quarks, galaxies, teeny tinies, and all. Billy Ray ♥

3. jaysquires says:

405! That’s a freeway that runs through these parts. I believe 405 means foul language that isn’t allowed. Hmmm, really, I’m baffled. Glad you enjoyed it, though. Don’t give up on rading and commenting on other pieces. Do like I do and copy and paste my responses on word, so I can regain them if they get hung up on the 405. LOL, I do appreciate you my friend.

4. I did use the word s__t, so that’s likely the reason! Wow, the socialists can run wild but we can’t say, s__t! Go figure… Suffice, your piece was excellent, as is all your writing. If they hustle, the micro-scientists can give us ‘new life’, good Jay… But, then, so can ‘Kryo’! I appreciate you as well, my friend. Do the world a favor: KEEP WRITING! ♥

10. Write a long response to your ‘Faith-piece’, galaxies, quarks, teeny tinies, and all, put my e-mail address in, my website, and pushed send – came back ‘405 ERROR’. You sure laid out some interesting points this ole country-boy enjoyed reading but not sure of the understanding… I’m holding out for the ‘Micro-Bods’ and becoming an ‘immortal’! Always my best to you, Jay-man. ♥♥♥

11. Great stuff. Keep going

1. Thanks, Thomas. Your comment is appreciated. Best wishes for 2019!